View Single Post
Old 12-05-2020, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools First with Digidesign 003 Console ?

Just one opinion, but I would approach this differently. If you NEED to use Pro Tools, then I would buy a used license for any version number, from 11 on up(PT-First is just too limiting and you will outgrow it faster than you think). Then, you can try using the old 003(which may work fine, or it may work as an audio interface but the control surface part doesn't function). As long as you can get audio into and out from the computer, you can make music. Alternately, if the 003 doesn't work, then you could sell it and buy a new(er) interface that will work. The Presonus Studio line works well, and selling the 003 would likely give you enough for one of the smaller units. Take a look at the ioStation24c or Studio 24c as either would likely be fine for a home-recordist.

Beyond that suggestion, would another DAW be a consideration? Studio One and Reaper are both very capable programs and both are happy on Windows 10(Buying a Presonus interface usually comes with a lite version of Studio One). There's also CuBase and Cakewalk by Bandcamp. Cakewalk used to be Sonar and has been re-branded and is free.

What do you want to do with your setup? Will it only be you, or will you be bringing in other players? Do you own any plugins that you want to keep?(PT First is very restricted on what plugins will work).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave