View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Best Core 2 Series Desktops-Results and Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike59271 View Post
Are you sure the compatibility grid doesn't list the P31/P35 chipset. To be perfectly honest this is all jargon to me. All i know is pro tools is acting wierd and i want it to work, so im trying to understand what this all means. Would you mind explaining in laymen s terms what chipset is and how it relates to my issues?
Your correct it is the P35 and not the P45. The nomanclature is just a naming convention. P45 is a one generation newer than the P35.

Chances are theres nothing wrong with your chipset. It's how Windows uses memory thats the issue.

I added a link to the post above.

You have 4GB of RAM. Thats all the 32bit Windows can "See".
Windows Splits this 50/50 between the operating system itself and any applications. This made sense when 256MB of RAM was a lot... Now that we have 4GB it doesn't make sense. Windows doesn't need 2GB of space 1 GB is sufficient. The /3GB switch changes that to a 25/75 % ratio for the OS and its applications. 1GB for windows and roughly 3Gb for applications.

Windows reserves part of this 3Gb space for the frame buffer of your video card. In order to feed your video card it needs some virtual storage space. If all the information flowing into your video card is like water in a trough the frame buffer is the "bucket" were are using to pour the water with.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88