View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013, 08:49 PM

Default Re: NEW UPDATED Room Calibration for Film and TV Post

I am somewhat new to calibrate for bass management in a studio environment. Up until now I've only been reading about it and understood it somewhat in theory. I've also been using full range speakers LCR and ignored any low bass missing from unmanaged surrounds up until now. Now I'm rebuilding my home studio and trying a few different speaker systems and setups to see which one suits my new needs.

I was just trying out the calibration files and instructions found at abluesky.com and I'm running across a few issues. (Ps. It has been in the middle of the night at my place so I've used a lower volume setting, -20dB and -30dB from ordinary calibration level.)

The dBC-meter I was using measured 64.8dBC at a volume control setting of -20dB and 55dBC at -30dB using the HF file (500-2500Hz) and beginning with the front left speaker alone. Then all channels (still SATs only, no sub) were calibrated alike.

Then I got to calibrate my bass management. This was when I hit a few bumps. So, when playing the LF file (40-80Hz) through the left speaker alone - sub still turned off - I got a reading of 62.4dBC (@-20dB) and 52.8 (@-30dB). When playing the same LF file through the sub, with the SATs turned off, I got a reading of 63.7dBC (@-20dB) and 53.8dBC (@-30dB). Again the same LF file but with both Sat and Sub turned on I got 67.2dBC (@-20dB) and 57.3dBC (@-30dB).

I believe it could be even clearer over at abluesky about what of the above example to calibrate to - Sat alone or together with sub. Anyone care to chime in?

I understand there are more parameters to set to calibrate bass management. I was thinking of keeping my question short and take it from here to begin with.

Thanks!

Marcel Risberg
Production sound and audio post - ljuddesign.se
Enthusiastically sharing knowledge and experience at Stockholm Film School.

🛠 Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 · HD Native · HD Omni
🎚 EuControl x.x.x · Artist Control · Mix · Control App
🦑 MacPro5,1 · 12C24T @3.46GHz · 48GB · SSDs · macOS 10.13.6 (17G5019)
📺 Separate video playback machine
🥇 Covered by ZDT/TLC · Keeping DAW OS clutter free