View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 06:31 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools vs Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
This probably isn't the worst place to ask this question, or it could actually be the best.. Anyway, I've been thinking of making the switch to Reaper ever since my Annual PT Subscription lapsed and they wanted 3x the cash...so I've been stuck on version 12.4 for who knows how long.

I've also read that Reaper runs much smoother and can load more plugin instances than PT. especially when running the Acoustica Audio Aqua stuff.

Have any of you PT diehards ever tried Reaper and can make an honest comparison? I know it's gonna be a monumental pain in the ass reinstalling all my plugins as .AU files (AU is Mac and VST is windows, right?), but it might be worth it. I'm kicking myself know for only installing the AAX format of plugs.

Just curious to hear from you guys on this

I guess by the vast difference in replies you might have deduced that the answer to your question is almost too individually specific, to be of much use to you personally.

If you are doing audio editing professionally having let your PT laps and the expense of renewing is arguably the worst reason possible to switch.

No doubt (depending entirely in individual workflow preferences and specific learning types and abilities ) that some people will prefer the customization and efficient CPU of Reaper. And again depending entirely on individual may very prefer the workflow (personally for the life of I can't imagine why) but we all are very different in some things .

Also be aware though,,,,, that some favorable replies (may) be more a emotional reaction to PT going subscription and annual costs etc. than actual objective logistical and workflow reasons and be more a matter of self justification for switching than stand back objectivity.

For me when I tried Reaper ( admittedly back in version 3 or 4) try as might to like it .
I found it so counterintuitive , cumbersome , and the nomenclature to be so foreign and useless that I quit trying.

But I am wondering also if age and chronological order of having learned recording may also have something to with preference
Because for those of us who started with tape and analog mixing consoles, I am guessing there is no DAW GUI that is as overall intuitive as PT

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...