View Single Post
Old 05-09-2006, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Using Waves Vocal Bundle plugs to zap mouth cl

I know this might not be a big help for your current situation - 15 hrs of audio without handling a clicking problem? Yoicks! - but here's a trick I use all the time, which I modified basically from a technique used in movie/TV applications: open your mic in your iso booth or wherever you are recording and get things as absolutely quiet as possible (be a NAZI about it if you have to). Record about 30 secs or so of roomtone. When you hear an offending click or even an unwanted breath, paste in a piece of the roomtone that is the same duration as the culprit (sometimes a micro crossfade on either end might be necessary...). Keep the piece of room tone handy in your cut/paste clipboard and use the trim tool to vary its length (duration) to handle different clicks/breaths once you paste in the roomtone. You end up with a really natural sounding recording - though it may take a little more time. Far exceeds any gates, vocal expanders or other plugin functions, no matter how good they are - IMO, they tend to take the 'air' out of a track, not to mention squashing the trailing ends of words many times (it goes without saying to stay away from the strip silence function - arrgh!). Even sraight noise reduction software does it. And just editing out the click or breath can alter the tempo slightly, make someone's cadence seem clipped or abrupt, or worst, just leave behind silence - in any case, even if no one can put his/her finger on it, the track runs the risk of just not sounding 'right'.

I even find that if a click happens in the middle of a trailing end of a word, especially a plosive or velar plosive (like 'k' or 'g' at the end of a word) - which many times is a result of quick tongue movement or 'spit squelch'(I call it) - a small sample of roomtone gets rid of that click while not resulting in an attenuation of the trail of the word (I'm talking durations of .004, .006, or shorter here). IMHO, this technique is far superiour to pretty much any plugin - the character of the room is maintained, and no coloring from the plugins modifies your recording. And, you'll be surprised how quickly you can get at finding and editing these nuisances.

The tip of lots of water and kleenex is indispensable. Also, don't forget a green apple (sour granny smiths are best). Ask the talent to chew (swallowing is optional - though not might be a little gross! apple spit cup...?) a small bite - doesn't need to be much. I swear it works wonders!

Anyway, just a couple cents worth. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Nathan Lowe
PT 2019 and 10.14
UA Apollo Quad
Outboard:
2 x Summit Audio 2BA-221>TLA 50>EQF-100
2 x dbx 165a
x Shadow Hills GAMA
http://humpbackmedia.net[/SIZE]