View Single Post
Old 10-24-2020, 09:04 AM

Default Re: OK I'm done with my Digi003 - Help with new hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_mex View Post
I use the 003 console version. Truth be told - I only use the input volume and monitor knobs. I adjust my levels and tweeks in pro tools. I'm basically saying that I don't really need a huge console but since I am a hands on person then some knobs that can adjust volume controls would be nice. Also, I only say USB-C because i never understood USB vs firewire in my 003. I just wanted to hit "record" and not expect a lock up so I thought firewire was the best and faster than USB.
Are there specific models you recommend? Can they be "standards" something that everyone has and loves?
I appreciate you responding. Meanwhile I am going to get an old PC (old Windows OS) from my garage and try to get my 003 going on it til i find something modern.
Lastly, I'm always on youtube so I can always look up review vids to help narrow what I need. I just need some salesman type guidance. Thank you!
btw, not sure what you mean by "Do you need low/no latency straight play-through of your external hardware? " Does that mean that if I play instruments along with tracks that I recorded? YES, if so.

EDIT: NEVERMIND ABOUT USB-C. I meant Thunderbolt 3!

OK I just looked up MOTU 828x. This looks like it's an answer. It has the 8 inputs I need. I just have to see if there's something a little better and if it works with protools. Looks like it's been around for a while so I have to see if there's something more modern.
The 828x is pretty darn good for what the average bedroom producer wants. And it will work with PT. As to straight play-thru what I'm talking about is the ability to play your external hardware without going through a/d and d/a conversions and the subsequent delay. Because you're looking at the MOTU take a look at what they call CueMix. With that you can setup a direct monitoring of your external h/w AND record into PT at the same time. It will also allow you to play your external h/w and you don't want to power up the computer.

QAPLA!