View Single Post
Old 06-05-2016, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Mastering in PT or using external software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by james21789 View Post
Hi Nigelpry,

From your signature specs it appears you are running OSX 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion). I too have this running on my Mac Pro 4,1 which runs PT 11. I do not wish to upgrade the OS because it seems Mountain Lion is the most stable with Pro Tools based off of what I've read and my experience has been unsullied so far. I'm interested in running WaveLab on the same machine. How are you running WL9 on OSX 10.8.5?

Best,

James
Unfortunately, as I guess you know, Wavelab 9 will not install in 10.8.5.

My 2009 Mac Pro has various boot partitions, including 10.6.8 Snow Leopard and 10.10.5 Yosemite, as well as Windows XP Pro SP3 and Windows 7 SP1.

I use Wavelab 8.5 in OSX 10.8.5 but Wavelab 9 (and Logic Pro X 10.2 which is similarly restrictive) in 10.10.5. For everything else in normal use, I'm currently sticking with 10.8.5. I haven't yet had a compelling need to update to run 10.10.5 by default.

I'm quite happy to reboot the computer into 10.10.5 when I'm going to be using Wavelab 9, but of course I'd have been happier if it could have run in 10.8.5.

Curiously, Cubase 8.5 also says it needs OSX 10.9 or above, but installs and seems to run fine in 10.8.5. I may try copying Wavelab 9 over from 10.10.5 to 10.8.5 along with all the associated bits and pieces, to see if it will actually run, but I havent made the effort to try that yet, just assuming that Steinberg prevents a normal installation from taking place in 10.8.5 for a very good reason.

I guess Cubase 9, when released, will be similarly restricted, and if so. That will probably be the tipping point that moves me into using 10.10.5 as my default OS. Especially as other products are gradually being specified as for 10.9 and above .... EG for me, the latest UAD plugins versions, and similarly the latest Native ainstruments plugins.

The trouble is, I much prefer the changes introduced in Wavelab 9, it seems a less cluttered and thus more intuitive interface. it runs quite happily with the main window on one screen, while my choice of metering and plugins play nicely on a second screen.

FYI, the Snow Leopard and the Windows partitions are there to run specific pieces of software that I use from time to time, notably Cubase VST5 in WinXP Pro (which lets me access my old Cubase Atari files) and Cubase SX3 in Snow Leopard, which lets me access Cubase VST5 files. The current Cubase 8.5 can still import Cubase SX3 files. This enables me to import my extensive library of Cubase Atari files into the current Cubase format via the two intermediate stages.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)