View Single Post
Old 05-18-2016, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Mastering in PT or using external software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
I'm using Wavelab and am happy wih it, no loss of audio quality perceived by me as compared to say mastering a single track inside Pro Tools.

I have always found its menu structure a little unintuitive, you have to go hunting for basic things that should be more obvious.

I guess its German logic at work, but a lot of the problem for me is that I spend a disproportionally small amount of time using it, just at the end of an album recording plus mixing project. So by the next time I come to use it I'm forgeting what I previousky knew, as opposed to Pro Tools, Logic and Cubase, which each get at least a full day's workout once per week, if not more.

I have to say that the layout of Wavelab 9 is a big improvement for me. It now seems a bit more logically laid out. I have everything except plugins and metering in one window maximised on one screen, and have a second window with all my metering views, plus seperate plugin windows. Everything seems to be just where I want it now.

The biggest crash fest for me in recent times has been using McDSP plugins and trying to render new files with my chosen plugin chain. The problem is that McDSP plugins VST versions simply do not support rendering. This is now confirmed and acknowledged by McDSP. Workaround is to use Blue Cat's MB-7 Mixer to host McDSP plugins AU version inside Wavelab. Result = no crashing.

It may be that one or more of your third party plugins has similar issues if you are getting a lot of crashes,
Ditto. Running Wavelab Pro 9 and loving it on the Mac.
Focusrite Clarett 8preX/Audient ID22 / UA Apollo Twin Duo-Thunderbolt / Harrison Mixbus and Mixbus 32c/ Wavelab Pro 9.5/Cubase Pro 10/ Logic Pro-X/Final Cut ProX/NI Komplete 10/Reaktor 6/ Kontakt 6/Cinematic Studio Strings/Solo String/Piano/ Synthogy American Steinway D/Superior Drummer 3.0 NY Studio/Omnisphere 2.6/ Collection/Waves Grand Masters/Waves Abbey Road Plates/Waves Gold/Waves H-Delay&H-Comp/Many UAD2 Plugins