View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Altiverb 7 and AAX-DSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
I understand McDSP and Sonnox have teething problems. However, it does seem a tad disappointing to the layman that nearly 18 months in they are STILL having issues. Maybe that's impatience on my part.
To be honest, this was our issue, not theirs. And they were quite aware of that. We just have a lot of irons in the fire right now with AAX and other development work. And I don't think you're impatient, that is a long time to wait. But please don't misconstrue that delay with there being a difficulty in porting to AAX-DSP or the DSPs lacking power due to instance counts of these plug-ins. We just didn't foresee the way that some plug-in would choose to use the chips and we had some limitations built in that we never thought anyone would hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
You mention it is your job to do whatever it takes to give us the resources to create great music and film. Surely Avid must be aware that the current shortfall in HDX plug-ins is a massive deterrent to the widespread adoption of HDX?
That is why I spend a large part of every single day talking with plug-in developers. We have a dedicated developer forum for plug-in developers that I and many other senior engineers patrol every day, and night. We also handle issues via email, phone, Skype, you name it. In those discussions, there are a number of companies that aren't interested in doing DSP development. It is much easier to just write a Native wrapper once to package up all of your plug-ins than it is to actually port every one of your plug-ins to AAX-DSP. But there are also a surprising number of companies that are interested. These transitions take time, and we've done the mother of all transitions mashing HDX and 64 bit into a bigger transition, but we think it was the right thing to do.

Dave