View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 04:03 PM

Default Re: New PC Build + New Mbox3 = BSOD with avidmbox.sys error

I strongly suspect there is some sort of bug in the Windows MBox driver itself. In threads on the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL crash over the years, many suggestions have been made to check configuration, Antivirus etc and eventually the original poster always disappears with no resolution.

Personally I've replicated the crash on two different PCs, one running Windows 7 and the other Windows 10. Both using an MBox 3, with just the 1.1.10 standalone driver installed (and Pro Tools itself not installed), one with no antivirus and the other with just the built-in Windows Defender.

The crash can happen randomly, or sometimes it seems to happen when the computer wakes from Sleep mode. As you say Jay, the crash is marked as being in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\avidmbox.sys. Uninstalling the MBox driver stops the crashes occurring on both the machines I've tested. Reinstalling it, the crashes occur again. They're seemingly random, and infrequent, and something that could be easily missed in Avid's own testing.

The Avid bug reporting page told me to post here and fill out the following info, so:

PC A:
Computer Make and Model
Intel Core i7 860, Radeon 7850, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD/1TB Seagate drives
Operating System Version
Windows 7
Installed version of Pro Tools
None. 1.1.10 standalone MBox driver.
Avid Audio Hardware
MBox 3 (standard)
Steps to reproduce the problem
Rarely, random while playing audio. Or occasionally on wake for sleep.

PC B:
Computer Make and Model
Intel Core i7 6700K, Geforce 1080, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB Samsung 950 M.2 SSD/250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD/1TB Seagate drive
Operating System Version
Windows 10
Installed version of Pro Tools
None. 1.1.10 standalone MBox driver.
Avid Audio Hardware
MBox 3 (standard, different unit to the one )
Steps to reproduce the problem
Rarely, random while playing audio. Or occasionally on wake for sleep.

Here's the actual Windows minidump file from the latest BSOD crash. If people from Avid read these forums, maybe they can send this to a programmer to have a look at: http://www.momentstudio.co.nz/temp/MBox%20crash.zip

I realise not everyone is getting this crash. But I also suspect most of the MBox userbase is on Mac OS rather than Windows. There have been reports of this on and off since at least 2011 so I do hope it has been, or will be, looked into at some point.