View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 11:34 AM

Default Re: r&b vocals mixing tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
That "budget option" with a Avalon and U47 clone will cost the OP over 5000 dollars or more second hand depending on which Tube mic U47 clone he choses so I think that is out of the question but great advice and I agree 100% with the Avalon being a great Channelstrip and allrounder for someone who wanna setup a rec studio with the right basic quality gear.

We use our two Avalons often enough to let them stay in the studios here and it os an easy quest to get a great sounding vocal in seconds with our Sony 800G or the U47 FET. I am a slave to Manley mics and we have all 3 condensors. Was extra impressed with the new silver Manley as our GOLD has a bit too much highs and our Ref-C has a great pop vocal sound but might be a bit too eager to colour the audio but the Silver is everything between so IMHO an awesome mic. Might be somewhat too close the the Brauner VMX we have but totally different vibes.
Agree about the Manley gold. I was on the Manley hype in 2001ish? But the gold always was too bright to me. I even had a pair of Manley monoblock amps. Those big ass tube monsters powering my proac 100 near fields I'd cart around to studios for mixes. I got rid of them for cellos. And now ucd mono blocks that were custom made. Only Manley stuff I still have is the massive passive. I love that. Other stuff I fell out of love due to too much tubes in my signal chain. And I guess my taste changed.