View Single Post
Old 09-09-2020, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Maximum file name in PT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
PT will cap names automatically when you try to name a session or a file/clip inside PT with too many characters so it should not create files that are not cross-compatible with Windows.
Besides that there were some PT versions that would not play videos that contained umlauts and other non-ASCII characters in the path name but that was a bug now fixed. Maybe you saw that?

F.

Nah, it's not non-ASCII characters, just path length. I've done pretty extensive testing on it and it's on every Mac system i can get my hands on (don't have access to a windows PT rig)

Give it a shot, make several nested folders with long names that result in an absolute filepath greater than 128 characters and import the video file, PT will either just freak out, or you'll get non-sequential video frames playing, or the video engine sometimes just crashes too.

We've been just working around it, but it's very annoying because we have specific folder and file naming conventions to keep track of when and from who elements are received from and it just breaks when the filepath gets too long.