View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 09:05 AM

Default Re: 2018.7 better than 12.8.3 on a mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Dunno about the wisdom of having both versions on your machine - if you're doing it because you're afraid of the upgrade then you should really have at least one bootable clone of your system drive (you should have that regardless).
As long as both versions of Pro Tools are compatible with the macOS, there shouldn't be a problem. The only real issue would be HD Driver versions if you are using HD hardware. I use Pete Gates' PT Prefs program to backup my prefs, and I always make a redundant copy of a particular PT version's prefs when I co-install, so I don't have to rebuild prefs if I end up using the previous version. After that, it's just a matter of renaming the current PT version and installing the new one. For full disclosure, I always uninstall App Manager and Cloud Services right away after every install, so I can't speak to how those items might affect co-installs.
Of course, bootable clone OS backups are necessary and a good idea no matter what. I use Carbon Copy Cloner for this.