View Single Post
Old 09-17-2016, 07:25 AM

Default Re: Safe to upgrade to El Capitan yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Dear View Post
I recently bought PT 12.5.2 and loaded it onto my MacBook that already had El Capitan (10.11.5) running.
I feel like throwing both the laptop and the iLok from the 25th floor balcony and buying Cubase instead.
I can't bounce mixes to disc or even play through an entire 3-minute song without error AAE-9073 coming up.
It is fine for editing short sections and setting up the mix, but last night it took 37 attempts to bounce to disc a rough mix of a 4-minute song before I was lucky enough to get through an entire bounce without crashing. Very embarrassing when a client has to hang around for nearly an hour when the job should have taken 4 minutes.
I am so angry that AVID was selling ProTools to Mac Users in 2016. There is no point advising people after the event that there are problems with 10.11.4 and beyond because when you buy a Mac you can't buy previous versions of the OS. I was told in the Apple Store that I can't load an earlier version of El Capitan or even load Yosemite onto my MacBook. I'm pretty pissed at Apple too.
I've been trying to find out if PT 12.6 will have a fix for this problem (and other stability issues), but the promo material is unclear.
Does anyone know if the El Capitan problems will be fixed with PT12.6?
Advice from AVID would be very welcome. The silence is deafening.
Yes Apple made a total mess of El Crapitan. But 9073 might not be El Capitan related. 12.5.x has a pile of issues itself, and often 9073 really do point to storage or related issues. As suggested create a new thread, provide all your system info, especially make/model/spec of drives used, is the system fully optimized? And what standard troubleshooting you have tried (under "help us help you" up top of this web page). How large are the sessions? What sample rate? Is disk cache enabled? (Set to a size not "normal") are you letting the cache fill before trying to start? Trash prefs, try with new sessions, try recording to the internal SSD, disable spotlight indexing on all drives (mark them private), uninstall any Antivirus or similar crapware, make sure no other apps are running, try creating a new admin usser and testing with a new emoty session from that account, try temporarilly removing all third party plugins (yes I know it is not a CPU error, but humor me) from the plugin folder. etc.