View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 05:37 AM

Default Re: Waves SSL vs. Duende

Both systems have an awesome sound that I reeally like. There is a big tonal difference betwine the Waves SSL and Duende, - the Waves to my ear has more colour and is sounding much like the older SSL - so they hit the mark as you would expect. SSL Duende is cleaner in the sound and hit the mark with the newer SSL stuff.
There is no quality difference, - only a tonal one, so its upto prefference. The ch-strip. on duende is easy on the eye, and I like the small display showing the routing of the channel at all times, nice.
The install af Duende is easy and strait forward, and there is no reason to fear what they call "wrapped", it installs as a RTAS-plug.
(actually many of the RTAS-plugs we use are "wrapped" VST, - most companies just dont mention it)
As allwayes with external processors there are "latency", - in case of Duende apr. 1.400 sampels so well within the limits of our ADC, but obviously a problem if you want to record into a ch.-strip, - Waves is a winner in that respect as its HD.
Ive had Duende on my system for the past week, and it seems very stable with Pro Tools, but there are still a few bugs with Logic Pro 7.2.
I think Duende is a nice addition to my system, even tho Ive got the Waves SSL also, - as said there are a tonal difference, and its a cheap way of freeing up more dsp on the Accel-cards for other stuff and getting 32 ch. SSL on top of that, - but I wouldnt part with my Waves version because of the latency.

Euro-Sound Studio
www.euro-sound.org