View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Bugs out the Kazoo

This is just an observation, so don't get pissed, but the fact that you do gaming, office work and stuff like that on a machine that works PT is probably not the best place to start. If your gonna work audio, you might want to get yourself an exclusive system. Its not a matter of life and death, but as important as it is to me to have a system that functions very very well, i would never consider installing anything that wasn't related to audio, or troubleshooting audio/hardware probolems. Just my 2 cents right off the bat. This also means no internet access of any kind, definalty no wireless of any kind, along with a few others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by facher83 View Post
I have chosen to dual boot so I can use a 'clean' copy of Windows with Pro Tools so that no other programs can 'mess it up' (booting to another install for anything else, games, office, etc). Hopefully this prevents many issues, I just hope that the way PT seems to inject itself onto hard drives doesn't do strange things to the dual OS's.
I run a dual boot for switching on and off my 3GB switch for Windows. I have run ProTools on both boots without a problem. I use 4 different internal hard drives for storing audio as well as a full sample library. The folders PT adds to each drive upon startup has never give me any problems. I also run two hard drives for seperate operating system, or versions of PT rather. One for PT8, and one for 7.4cs9. I have never had problems switching between the two, with any of the Digi librarys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by facher83 View Post
As far as 3rd party items, I'll say that PT had issues getting started out right, before running Reason at all or anything else.
This kinda goes back to a few things. It might have had to do with hardware problems. Either on your computer, or as a part of your recording setup. Or, and this is more likley since your doing all kinds of stuff on your PT computer, maybe it was the fact that you never optimized your computer. The fact that you're just getting around to setting up a Clean Windows Dual Boot does suggest that was never done in the first place. On Windows, optimization is not an option, its a must, if you don't want problems. And yes I do think its lame, but its still necessary.
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs