View Single Post
Old 01-08-2008, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Can we get a NEW and CLEARER Best Desktop thread?

Quote:
Thanks!!!

That helps immensely!

One more question...due to the windows issue of limiting RAM usage on a program, will I notice much of an improvement in the use of virtual instruments if I'm already running 3mb of RAM? That's where I'm having most of my problems right now.
There is actually a recent thread in the last 2 days about patching PT to make it 3Gb aware and that should pick you up about 1 GB for virtual instruments ( the memory available for VI's actually around 1.5-1.7 GB before patching and increases to around 2.75 GB after patching) This is not a mod for the faint of heart but several long term and well respected DUC members tried it and pronounced it good. This only applies to systems with 4GB of memory.

And would certainly NOT be approved of by Digidesign.

Are you aware that the amount of RAM on your video card affects the total amount of RAM windows can see? on systems with 4GB if RAM 512MB cards show 3GB, 256MB cards show 3.25 GB and 128MB shows 3.5 available to windows so if you using lots of VI's and aren't doing any graphics intensive work seek out a "Small" video card.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88