View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Difference between 8HD, 9HD & 10HD?

I have HD 8.1.1 and 10.0.0 set up and while I love the new 10 features such as disk cache, realtime fades and clip cache, I have no problem reverting to 8 when I mix in front of audience. HEAT is available for both, plugins are equally compatible, all I lose is the ChannelStrip.

On a wider perspective; here's the history timeline:

- PT5 was using classic Mac OS. MIX and HD hardware supported.
- PT6 brought Protools to OSX (Jaguar/Panther). Last MIX version was 6.4.1 and after that the development focus moved to MIDI.
- PT7 brought multicore plugin processing and Intel-Mac support. Special 7.4.2 version built as transition software between Tiger and Leopard, but I would keep using Tiger if possible.
- PT8 brought a new GUI and is a transition software between Leopard (8.0/non-HEAT) and Snow Leopard (8.1/HEAT). Everything since 8.1 obviously requires pci-express cards on OSX because SL is Intel-only.
- PT9 can be used with whatever hardware runs on Snow Leopard. Lion support is there but I would keep using PT9 on SL if possible.
- PT10 is a transition software between TDM/RTAS and AAX plugins. Everything work in 32 bits. Clearly this is built with Lion in mind, although runs on SL as well.
- PT11 likely drops TDM/RTAS altogether and goes 64 bits, only supports AAX.

Use what you need, not what you want to