View Single Post
Old 09-27-2018, 02:38 PM

Default Re: What do I need to monitor in Dolby Atmos with my setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienpalmer View Post
It'll work, but I think it seems like a waste of effort to convert from MADI to Dante. If you already have 64 MADI ch from the MTRX and 64 ch of MADI from an Avid MADI- why convert to Dante al all? Go straight to a PC version of the Renderer instead via MADI.

Both ways work. I did a quick tally, and they cost the same. Just my 2 cents.

(Although I still say having a hardware renderer doesn't make any sense for a school. They will never, ever have to create BWAV master files.)
I get your point mate, my train of thought with the RMU for me was to have full delay compensation support in protools because I thought delay compensation was not supported otherwise... however reading through the Dolby documentation again it seems that if you use the DSP AAX version of the Dolby plugs on the sends and return delay compensation is working... so yeah maybe this is a more practical and economic route with less drawback than I originally thought... What is really confusing me is that the AVID website says the Dolby production suite is AAX Native... and on the Dolby production suite manual it says if you have an HDX system you should use the DSP AAX plug ins.... So does the Dolby Production suite comes with DSP AAX or not?

Whilst the S6 is a nice bit of kit, this seems more like a waste of money to me at this point.. the only thing it will do over our D-control is give us an Atmos Surround Panner... I’d much rather invest in the ecosystem as a first step

Last edited by bsteeve; 09-27-2018 at 04:09 PM.