View Single Post
Old 04-22-2001, 04:31 PM

Default Re: digi001 hardware w/ logic 4.5

Quote:
Originally posted by naman:
What is the advantage of recording audio into Logic? more tracks? is the 001 being used strictly as an audio interface?

I understand MIDI is bettter in Logic, but I'm trying to get why audio, too, would be recorded into it.
Logic allows up to 128 tracks of 24-bit audio simultaneous with unlimited MIDI tracks. The audio tracks can also be SDII interleaved (now allowing up to 256 audio sources), which means one mixer strip can control both L and R of a stereo source using single stereo plug-ins and send/returns, and recording a stereo instrument produces one data file rather than both an L file and an R file. This is a very efficient and elegant way of handling stereo sources, which includes virtually every keyboard, module, and sampler available. Interleaved tracks also use about 75% of the CPU and disk overhead as an equivalent pair of split tracks, and you can drop SDII mixdown files directly into Toast to represent individual songs for creating red book CD's with no additional conversion hassle.

Logic can also run simultaneous interfaces from different vendors and integrate 24 bit, 16 bit, split, interleaved, and MIDI tracks in the same project, as well as within the same virtual mixer.

Logic also supports multiple processors and Altivec, so on the proper hardware it runs many more simultaneous tracks and plugins than sequencers without such support might be capable of.

In my case, the 001 is exactly that...strictly an interface.