View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Partition size for new drive and other disk defrag options

@M-ManLA-

From what I understand this isn't the case. When you defrag, it only does it per file. So if say vocal take 17 is scattered in 14 places it puts it together. Now the problem comes when you have 200 files in your session, and because of defrag, they are all over the place on your drive. Now because of your fangled 1TB drive there is simply too much hay and not enough time to find all the needles.

The drive fills up sequentially, unless it has holes that are places where deleted files once were. And the files become fragmented when a single file is to big to fit the holes, right?

So if you are like me, I never delete anything on an active recording drive/partition, there should be very little reason for the drive to ever become fragmented right? My understanding is that the smaller partitions are good because the drive is split into multiple sequential sections, so now even that session that lasts two years and is segmented (per session) is only looking at the part of the hay that the needle has to be in.

I also notice a lot more "missing xyz file" when de-frag is turned on. Usually they are fade files that are really short, but reguardless it's annoying and doesn't inspire confidence in your clients.