View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 12:09 PM

Default Partition size for new drive and other disk defrag options

So I'm getting ready to setup a new 1tb recording drive (7200, 32mb cache) and I've been dealing with a fair amount of issues with the dreaded "drive not fast enough" error. Now the issue to me with this error is that most of the time a reboot of PT would solve it. Soooo. . .

Is the just another stupid V8 problem? OR I've also read that windows defrag does not organize your data as per folder location, so you end up with your audio files scattered all over the drive. I'm coming from 500GB (16mb) drives and I'm wondering If I should do 300GB partitions, turn defrag off, or is there a 3rd party defrag option that will keep the files organized on the drive relative to the folders they belong to?

I hate to go under 300GB partitions, a 96k album project can run upwards of 100GB. I don't mind just buying more drives and leaving them 1/2 full, but I don't like having to move/copy whole projects or having 4 versions of a file (active drives and backups) to have to figure out which one is newest, and it seems as though I get more PT errors the more drives that are attached to the system.

Any thoughts or advice? Raid? SAN? Thanks guys-