View Single Post
Old 02-14-2001, 09:42 PM

Default KEYSPAN 4 port serial Card and G4`s

Digi, Please help!!!!;
I am currently running a Mixplus on a 9650 with a Newertechnology G3 466 upgrade chip (512 ram). I am working with a UVW1800P Betacam as reference video and record this into Quicktime using Premiere via an Aurora Fuse video capture card.I have a Blackburst generator that feeds video reference to the Betacam, a DA98,38 , a Fostex D15 Timecode DAT and the MOTU Digital Timepiece .
The Digital Timepiece comunicates via the printer port (1 SERIAL PORT) and feeds 256 word clock into the master of 2 x 888`s and word clock into a Yamaha 02R which serially feeds into the other aforementioned clocked sources.
Out of the modem port (2ND SERIAL PORT) is an OPCODE Studio 5 from which I run a plethora of midi devices and port 1 is connected to port 1 of the Digi Timepiece. Port 2 of the Studio 5 is connected to a HUI.The Pro Tools and the HUI(via IAC) communicate with the Betacam via Gallery`s software package `009 ` out of a KEYSPAN SX serial 4 port PCI card (3RD SERIAL PORT)
This system has rock solid sync and very tight midi response and has been a great workhorse for the last couple of years. The only problem I regularly encounter is dropped video frames when I record into Premiere and Pro Tools simultaneously. I believe this to be an overloaded bus speed because , when I disable the HUI from tools and remove the IAC bus from the OMS current setup I can record these two media without problems.
Screen redraws are a little slow for my liking and the tapping hand frustrates me when I have a large session on the page,in short, I am looking to upgrade around June when the 733 G4 MAcs with DVD Burners are settled in a little.(5.1 will also require a little more horsepower I am told)
The problem is , how do I get OMS to talk to the serial 4 port PCI card, as there are no serial ports on these MAC`s and I NEED at least 3 of these to make my very solid system remain that way. Any advice from my fellow users?????????
DIGI!!!!!!!