View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 Missing CODEC

Let me chime in here.

When I drag a video into a brand new latest Pro tools 12 install on a brand new clean installed win10 pro 8 core PC with RME interface, Pro Tools freezes up for about 20 seconds.
After that, I get the import options and press OK. Then Pro Tools freezes for another 30 seconds.
Then I get an error message "unable to link [blah blah] due to either a missing CODEC or the file may be unsupported".

Alternatively, nothing happens on import. No video, no message, just back to Pro Tools. This is just random.

When I choose file > import, the same thing happens. With the alternative scenario beeing that I'm left with the import screen after a 20-30 second freeze up. No message, nothing.

The video's play fine in Quicktime and are used in my current Win7 PT10 setup.
Codecs LE (whatever that's supposed to mean) is installed.
Forum search only reveals identical problems with no solution.

AMA plugins? Really? Just make the video work before starting to brag about:
"A revolutionary plug-in architecture that greatly accelerates your file-based video workflows."
OMG LOL

UPDATE:
The problem seems codec related. As in PT10, any codec other than Avid's own STILL seems to have playback and/or import issues.
I have no idea what benefit the new 'video engine' is supposed to have, as it only seems to introduce more problems and a more complex workflow.
Looking at Adobe premiere for example, that can even edit raw DVD *.vob files, one starts wondering why Pro Tools can't even import and play a simple H264 file properly.
So still, after all these years you're bound to converting the videos to Avid codec (that only Avid uses) to minimize problems.
But finally full screen! Hurray!

Last edited by mdb; 05-05-2017 at 10:26 AM. Reason: update