Thread: Apogee FX Rack
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Apogee FX Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
It’s interesting days, but I am not sure I would give high marks to Apogee Digital for how they have launched all this... just look st the confusion here about native vs DSP.

In one way Apogee likely wants to set pricing similar to UAD, to set expectations their plugins are as good. In another kudos to them for supporting native as well as onboard DSP. That’s a hassle for some UAD workflows. But one if the hassles with the great UAD plugins are they are so good that you want to buy more and it all can get expensive fast.... and then you are locked in forever.

On the other hand I think Apogee need to really prove they have something great here and lots more coming to counter the lead UAD has, which to me would be more pushing out incredibly aggressive priced starter packs to their current users and getting word of mouth marketing going. Play the long game, right now it looks more short game, with some hiccups getting stuff to market timely, and then expecting current users to cough up for plugins at UAD pricing.

Personally it’s also an issue they don’t have a DSP story with symphony as I really like the modularity of that interface.
good points.

I just want to add, even if the plugins are good (and yes I agree it's cool there are native and dsp version, like what steinberg did with UR824 dsp plugins), there is no reverb (is the dsp even powerful enough for it?).

That's one of the most important monitoring tasks for DSP.. and is also the most processor intensive at low latency if using a native system.. for example, I can run 32 avid compressors at 64 buffer with 32 tracks armed, and have lower cpu than adding just one (high quality) verb on an aux send with 32 tracks armed.

Apogee need to add a reverb stat if they are seriously going to market their interfaces as DSP solutions..

Look, all kidding aside, my issue with my nasty previous post were the prices of the plugins for native users.. cause i KNOW people are going to buy them in droves cause "they are apogee".

I am sure they are ok plugins, and free for their compatible interface users.. and really, if they add a verb, then EQ, comp and verb is all one really needs to monitor any kind of mix (as long as the dsp can handle an EQ and comp on every channel).