View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Building a new Machine

Thanks for the info guys. I don't use my studio very often. It's a personal use studio (I realize it's been just under a year since I posted this and you've replied).

I've still been limping along with the same system but I'm ready now for the new build. (my old faithful has finally bit the dust).

I have a hard time justifying another $600 or $24 a month for the latest protools when I'm good with this one for now and it works perfectly for what I need.

Albee.. did you finally upgrade or are you still running PT9? Did it work on Win10? I have no problem running Win7.. it's a good OS and I already own it. Also.. I don't have all that many plugins.. not sure if they would all work with the new Protools though. Do you think I'd have to buy them again? Or would they simply be upgradable. (most of my plugs are Waves, with Vintage Warmer and Autotune as well).

I'm already building a $1000+ computer so tacking on another $600 in PT plus plugins seems like a lot of expense for my own personal work. (with the very slightly occasional session or two for a friend. If I was doing this semi-professionally (like I was 10 years ago).. I could justify the expense but having a hard time with that as it is right now.

About to start researching X99/i7

Digi003Rack-PT9.0, Win7Pro64, Mobo:Asus-P6X58D-E, CPU:i7 Quad 960 3.2gbps (no overclocking), RAM:Kingston HyperX (3X2gb DDR3 12800), Graphics:Gigabyte GTX460 1GB DDR5, Sys Drive: Maxtor 3gb/s SATA 500gb, Audio Drive: Hitachi 6gb/s SATA 2TB

"I fake it through the day with some help from Johnny Walker Red" - RIP Elliott Smith