View Single Post
Old 09-24-2016, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Current top of the line Windows Laptop for Protools

The buffer setting determines the latency of the playback versus incoming audio signals (in samples?). A lower latency is easier for playerys to play along with the recorded tracks. Lower buffer settings put more pressure on the CPU and can cause stability issues, if you don't have a system that can handle it.

Because most of what I do is live recordings of symphonies and jazz groups, I'm not overdubbing anything, so I usually just keep the buffer set at 1024 so I have more CPU power available for tracking and stability.

It's interesting that when I first started up Protools on this laptop after the initial install, Protools wouldn't play or record at all until I lowered the buffer from 1024 to 512. Then I could go back to 1024 without issue. So I started lowering the buffer setting to see how low it could go. And I ended up at 64, the lowest available in my 48k session. I couldn't percieve a difference in CPU utilization as indicated by Protools between any buffer setting from 64 to 1024.

Granted, I don't use a ton of plugins or VIs or heavy automation in my sessions. But I'm still impressed with this computer compared to what my last two would do.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One