View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 05:42 AM

Default Re: Using VEP6 with two Macs to offload CPU ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Ivan View Post
Yeah, as Jack was saying, I don't think it necessarily needs to be Mojave; it just needs to not even El Captain!!
Exactly. It just needs something better than that.

I think I mentioned this but this is where having a good solid backup helps. That way you can get back to a working system if things don't work out. It would allow you to experiment with different OSX versions to see what works for you. External hard drives are cheap these days - I use a 4TB 7200 rpm LaCie as my system clone/backup drive. On that I have the three boot partitions from my old iMac and the two boot partitions on my current 2012 MacPro (OSX 10.10.5 and OSX 10.12.6). Yes my current system has two boot partitions - it's a 1TB ssd on a pcie card split into two partitions. That way I can experiment as I want to and still be able to get back to working if thing go toes up.

For partitioning I use OSX disk utility and for backups I use Carbon Copy Cloner. It can never be stressed enough - having a working clone is one of the best insurances you can have (besides ZDT coverage on your iLok).

Flash news - as I'm typing this I got an email from VSL announcing a new version of VEPro - version 7. You can now buy just one, two or three licenses instead of being stuck with the three you get currently. There's a bunch of new features with it as well. Upgrade price from VEPro 4/5/6 is 75 Euro (reg 95 Euro) with additional licenses at 45 Euro (reg 65 Euro). New purchases at 145 Euro (reg 195 Euro).

edit for additional:
Pricing for upgraders is $84.96 single license with additional licenses $50.98. In Euros it's 75 for upgrade and 45 for each additional license. See this page: https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Vienna_Ensemble_Pro

QAPLA!