View Single Post
Old 03-25-2003, 11:13 PM

Default Re: PTLE/DIGI001 Yamaha AW4416

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe:
EB, yes, I have two AW4416's. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I was the first person anywhere (including at Yamaha) to lock / cascade two of them together, and the first to lock two of them AND simultaneously lock them to something else (a DAW or ADAT's). I also beta tested the 2.0 OS software and the Waves Y56K card. So I'm fairly knowledgeable on those machines. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Actually, I've been considering selling them and getting one of the new hi res Yamaha mixing boards. It's not that I don't like the AW's anymore (they're VERY cool!), it's just that I dislike the backup time - those CD-RW's are pretty slow. They're fine for people working on a few songs over a long period of time at home, but a hinderance when you're doing this all day, every day for a large variety of clients. Since I can back up SO much faster on PT (with my 40 X CD-RW) I have been using that more and more and the AW's less and less - at least for recording. I still use them as mixing consoles. So I think replacing them with a 96 KHz capable board might be a better way for me to go.

Now as far as your PC problems go, we might be able to help you. What we need for you to do is to list your whole system as completely as possible. CPU, motherboard / chipset, all PCI cards, video card, IRQ's - the works. Then we need a fairly detailed description of what problems you've had as well as what you've already tried insofar as fixing things. I'm sure you'll get a lot of useful information from the experts around here.

And as far as the AW4416, you might want to go to:

http://socialentropy.com/aw4416/

Click on the FAQ link on the left side of the page. Under "AW4416 Usage Questions", the second to the last link is to an article I wrote entitled "How do you link two AW4416s together?". While that specifically addresses locking two AW's together, the concept of locking an AW to PT is virtually identical. That article might be of use to you. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

One other thing you might find useful is this link to a article I wrote on disconnecting the AW's CD-RW fan for quieter operation. BTW, since I wrote that article, Yamaha USA has been referring people to that article, and has stated publically that doing that mod will NOT void the warranty.

http://socialentropy.com/aw4416/AW44...onnect%202.htm

Hope this is useful to you. Don't forget to post your problems and your computer's specs. You might want to do that on a new thread so you get a little more "traffic" and exposure.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">...and if your sessions don`t swing, it don`t mean a thing...
Don`t forget the latency issue at 2.9ms on the auxes too... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Best,
Svein Egil