View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Delay with busses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmiller0607 View Post
@Carlone Create a session with one audio track. Route that audio track to a bus. Is there a delay showing in the delay compensation window?
When I route as you suggest my delay for the track is 0 (when record enabled). When not record enable it's 135.

I'm on an HD native system with the HD Omni and I'm not using any kind of LLM. My playback buffer is 128 in a 48k session.

Quote:
To everyone reading this thread... I want to know WHY there is a delay in my system and what I can do to resolve it, if anything. That's all.

Any Avid engineers out there? Bueller? Bueller?
Why all the delay? First of all - everyone here has delay (or latency).
Latency is caused by multiple factors.

1. Convertors (varies but FW or USB devices are around 2ms)
2. HW Settings (this is under your control)
3. Protocol buffering (based on whether you have a pcie, firewire or usb device. HD and HD native are around 10 samples while FW or USB are between 1-3 ms).
4. Safety buffer (help ensure that the data makes it to the cpu - not needed with pcie pro tools systems but FW or USB devices will add another 1-3 ms).

You should also know that Pro Tools WILL NOT compensate for 3rd party interfaces because it has no idea what the latency is and as a few people have mentioned your interface (and it's drivers) are the 1st culprit when it comes to determining why your getting more delay than others.

You should also know that 5-6 ms of latency is average for FW systems while 7-9 ms of latency is average for USB systems.

The biggest factor is your HW buffer setting. The fastest (or least amount of latency) you can get is a PCIe system because it has direct communication with the CPU. The worst is USB because ... well it's USB and there are interrupts so it requires much more buffering.