Thread: Pros and Cons
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2002, 06:59 AM

Default Re: Pros and Cons

as somebody who dumped PC for Mac as a DAW, I keep my old PC around for non-audiovisual stuff (surfing, mail, word processing, spreadsheets, games) and use the Mac as a dedicated workstation for PTLE and Final Cut Pro work. I must say that after my millionth blue screen of death under Windows the boring stability of the Mac is a real pleasure. On the other hand, it IS true that I tried to get my poor old overworked PC to be a jack of all trades... I wound up choosing Mac because at this time it is a clearly better platform for digital video editing (better software available, native firewire, better massive RAM management).

Although a new PC running Windows will give you more (maybe even MUCH more) processing power at a lower price point, stability and compatibility issues tend to be worse. Which is not to say that Macs are immune to these pbs, I just find that Windows requires more fighting.

If I could give advice, it would be: whatever you choose, keep your DAW as clean as possible. Troubleshooting takes up too much time.

P.S.: it's a tough call, since both Apple and Microsoft have just released revamped operating systems (X.1 and XP) which are both reputed to be more stable and handle multiprocessing better... when PT will be multiproc compatible...