View Single Post
Old 06-14-2015, 01:55 PM

Default Re: What do you think, is it time for Avid to concentrate on Pro Tools strengths?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
In 200 years, we will still be listening to Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Strauss, Stravinsky, Holst, Basie, Ellington, Gillespie, etc...

Do you honestly think that in 200 years any one will even remember any of this chart topping "music"? Much less even be listening to it?

We've gone from classical and jazz music with complex extended chord structures to pop songs with three or four simple chords 30 and 40 years ago to songs with only one even simpler chord with the exact same four-on-the-floor rhythmic motif that everyone else uses. The kids today are making "hit records" in their bedrooms with a 25 key MIDI keyboard, on whch they only play the white keys and a 9 key drum pad. And of everythign has to have that stupid transformers vocoder effect in it.

And in 6 months the next flavor of the week will come along and no one will remember that last hit.
All true. You're absolutely right.

But, so what? If people enjoy it, great.

The palette of life's experiences and enjoyment spans a wide gamut, encompassing both high art that is profound enough to provoke epiphanies AND catchy little snippets of novelty that are briefly enjoyed then forgotten.

I appreciate having both. It's unlikely that much of the latter will have any lasting affect on humanity, but some of it sure is fun while it lasts, and I wouldn't want to take a long road trip with only the masters to listen to any more than I would want a diet of exclusively gourmet cuisine. Sometimes you just want a Big Mac!