View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Fighting faders on a 002 console

Quote:
Quote:
So clearly there is something going on, yet the 3 LED tester does show I am properly wired. Would a true earth ground help? If I drive a stake into the ground outside, then connect that up to say my Furman's chassy screw would that help? Hurt? Be dangerous? Any ideas?
Unfortunately the 3 LED type devices don't show actual ground potential, merely that you have a ground. Most likely your ground potential is too high and doesn't create enough 'difference' for the faders on the 002 to work properly.

On the other hand there actually could be something wrong with the 002's ground. Is there any way you could test it in another location, just to be sure? If it doesn't work elsewhere, then your 002 is probably in need of repair.
I don't really have an easy way to try my 002 in another environment (someone else's place with Protools). I did try the calibration and testing utilities for the faders. When untouched, the faders read 0057 or so. If I touch a fader the value jumps all around - up and down so fast I can't even read the value. If I touch the fader and also touch the bottom metal plate of the 002 the value jumps to 0029 (and fader stops fighting).

I tried barefoot, standing, sitting, cleaning the faders, wetting my fingertips... none of that helps.

How can I decrease the ground potential that you mentioned? Any other ideas? All most appreciated!