View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 09:38 AM

Default Re: PT not behaving as expected when I launch and hold the 'n' key, to launch PB engi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Pro Tools HDX rigs are perfectly capable of starting up without interfaces attached - when the 'n' key is held down at startup you will still get the playback engine dialog and you can choose a CoreAudio or built-in interface. Of course (as I'm sure the OP knows) you won't get to use the HDX cards, and your AAX DSP plugs won't show up, but the system will run perfectly fine as a native "ultimate" rig.

To the OP; are you sure there's not something going on with your keyboard/usb peripherals that's blocking the 'n' key functionality? It does behave as expected here with interfaces disconnected; 2018.12, HDX, Sierra.

best,
rich
Thank you Rich.... nice to hear from a professional and also polite person who actually understands the difference between TDM and HDX...

Yeah at first I had a hub in the way, and then realized that sometimes USB active hubs can strip out key commands at weird times...

I did try a different (original apple) keyboard with no hub.... still no joy.

I seem to recall that I can trash a pref that will 'confuse' the rig and then ask me at launch what PB engine to use....

perhaps I trash all prefs, and try that. Ran out of time yesterday.

As always, Rich you are a true professional. and a nice guy.

MixerGuy