View Single Post
Old 10-25-2020, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Audio Interface Upgrade - Recommendations?

And in addition to what connectivity you have (and check macOS driver compatibility as well)... I am not sure I follow the mixer software concern... like I can’t tell from your comments enough to guess what other hardware mixer software would be better for you. Like I think many of the mixers are not very “intuitive”... they all take reading the manual and some time to get used to. And if you are recording drums and live reversals are you having to provide cue mixes for the talent? Or can you/do you want to more ignore the mixer? Or are you using effects in CueMix like reverb to sweeten cue mixes... and want that capability in other interfaces? It all seems such a personal preference that if that is your main issue that you are going to need to look at what different vendors provide and make your own choices there.

What is your budget? Do you have latency performance needs?

You are unlikely to find 16 preamps in a single box, and if you have an ADAT Mic pre you are happy with today... then I assume you would use that... so to be clear you want an interface with ADAT/SMUX In.

For the 18i20 seems you are in the same performance ballpark as your current gear... but with more total mic preamps. You can look up Focusrite Control online and see if that looks better to you.

For thunderbolt interfaces I would add to your list:
UAD Apollo 8p
Apogee Ensemble or Symphony

Both those vendors have good documentation for their control/console software.