View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Have a Backup Plan. Regardless of platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Auto-save cured me of that But Acronis gets a workout here Its good to see that there are some that are even WORSE than me when it comes to backups(now I don't feel so bad)
When you say "worse than you," do you mean more obsessive/compulsive?

I'm telling you, it's nothing to be ashamed of!

To take it a step further, here's some more backup mania:

My PT sessions are all done on the 2TB Hitachi in drive bay 2 (if I'm on my MBP, I record to an external Glyph, then transfer the session to the Mac Pro for editing). Then each session is backed up onto the 1TB Hitachis in bays 3 and 4.

BUT, it's in my Finale backups that I'm completely out of control: All Finale files are saved into a master folder called Mac Finale Music Files. That folder is on my PCIe SSD system drive. Then, there are backups on each of the 4 HDs in my Mac, THEN on an external FW drive, THEN onto two external USB drives, and FINALLY onto my MBP.

Overkill? Probably. For example, just tonight I had a rehearsal where I had done some charts for a cellist. We found 2 minor mistakes in one of them, so I noted them, and when I got home I made the corrections. It took me longer to copy the files to all the backup locations than it did to fix the mistakes and print out a fresh copy.

Yep, I have issues…

But all kidding aside, this kind of redundancy has saved my butt before. My day job is running a church office, and a few years ago, just days before Easter, the HP computer there had a complete system failure. But because of my redundant external backups, I lost no files at all. The only thing I needed to do was get a new HD installed and restore.
Finale 26.3.1