View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Have a Backup Plan. Regardless of platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
As I grab the drive to take a closer look one of the semiconductors bursts into flame while I had the drive in my hand. They have a fantastic 3D glow as they burn from the inside out. Needless to say I now have more backups.and spare drives. Kinda freaky to lose your drive and see it go up in your hand.
In the 80s, I was obsessed with Alesis MIDIVerb II. At one point, I had I think 6 of them, 4 in a big 18-space rack on wheels that was my keyboard module rig back when I was a rock/wedding band player. One day, I got yet another MIDIVerb, installed it in the rack, attached the wall wart, plugged it in, and the damned thing blew up on me. Flames were literally shooting out the back. Alesis sent me a new one (and a coffee mug, that I had for years).

When I moved to PT 9 a couple of years ago, I got a Metric Halo ULN-2. Because I was already using all the FW ports on the back of my Mac Pro, I bought a Sonnet PCIe card that had several FW ports on it. I installed the card, installed the MH MIO drivers, plugged the ULN-2 into a port on the Sonnet card, and heard a loud PING come from inside the computer.

I shut everything down, opened the case, and saw that a capacitor (or something) on the PCIe card had completely blown off. There was this smoky place on the card, and I had to disconnect everything from the computer and turn it over and shake it to fish out the capacitor (or whatever it was). Sonnet sent me a new card (but no coffee mug).

We should start an OT thread talking about gig or hardware disasters. I could tell the story about the drummer in my band who fell down a flight of stairs in the middle of a gig…
Finale 26.3.1