View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Have a Backup Plan. Regardless of platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Ha !!! I had the original Ensoniq Mirage 8-bit sampler !!! Then, I added a Mirage rack version, then an ASR-10. Got rid of all those, but I still have a TS-10 in my studio. And yes, and a big box of Mirage sample floppies in storage that the TS-10 can read. My oh my...
Ensoniq users of the world, unite!

I always used 2 floppies, saving away every few seconds. Unfortunately, because I didn't want to keep switching floppies while recording, I only backed everything up to the second floppy at the end of my working. It was a case of my fingers moving faster than my brain that day, for sure…

Back when I used to work for a small publishing company (on PCs), the graphic designer who did all of our book covers was a Photoshop black belt. But he rarely saved while working because his PC was so slow that it would literally take a half hour or more to render a photo. (This was in 1999–2001, and I should say that the network there was a very primitive, jerry-rigged thing, so there was no server, per se.) There were a few times that he lost a huge amount of work because of a crash. After one of those disasters, he went into the boss's office and basically had a meltdown, so they finally bought him a new Dell.

In my own work, hitting cmd-S literally every few seconds has become second nature. Whether in PT, or Finale, or InDesign, or Word, or whatever, I save incessantly, so at worst I might lose a few seconds of work, but not much else. Bear in mind that I'm not working in the same kind of situations or with the massive sessions that most of you probably do every day.
Finale 26.3.1