View Single Post
Old 09-09-2018, 07:58 PM

Default Re: iZotope RX7 officially announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
But by your own admission,
(1) the cost of upgrade from the most recent or versions from years ago are the same.
(2) And (I quote you) "seem to be releasing updates and upgrades with comparatively little added to them on a yearly basis"

So isn't the most logical thing to not upgrade until there's something you want? Kind of case of issue two is negated by issue one. If there's nothing you want in the latest, don't upgrade and don't worry about missing out at a discounted price -- because the next update will cost the same. Shouldn't that make you happy? (not paying for something you don't want/need/use *cough* *cough* unlike other companies' upgrade lock-ins)

It's not exactly like the problematic situation with Pro Tools where you need to keep updated to keep working on the latest/greatest OS. RX works (and they continue to keep working) older versions for no additional cost.

That is largely what I was getting at when I mentioned patiences and being rewarded when spending less. Avid definitely isn't a shining light of a business model, but I think parts of what have driven me nuts about Avid over the last few years iZotope is also doing. The convoluted and every morphing product line for example.

Remember RX Plugin Pack? It seems like it existed for 6 months, costing $129... then disappeared. It was replaced with RX elements for $129, which existing RX Plugin Pack owners could upgrade to for an extra $49. I am still not sure what the actual difference between the two is. Izotope seem to basically operate like Apple, except when they release an incremental point update each year they call it a new version number and slap a price tag on it, then morph it into a half a dozen other products and bundles each with additional upgrade fees.

It is actually funny that you mention Avid. The greatest deal ever offered on iZotope products was through Avid. They gave RX Elements away to everyone for free. They are even currently offering Empirical Labs Arousor for $149 for the rest of the month in the Avid store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidj View Post
I'll have to see what's new but since I bought RX Advanced at V2 I've skipped V3 and V5 and I don't think my work suffered.

Being an advanced RX6 use they did offer me an amazing deal on Ozone 7 + Neutron. Currently waiting on Ozone V9 and Neutron 3 before considering an upgrade.
The offers aren't user specific though. I think they are just calculated on what will have the widest reach and greatest impact along the whole iZotope user base. Companies like Waves, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance, Native Instruments, etc calculate discounts and deals on a user by user basis. In all likelihood, I was probably offered the same deal as you... despite owning both RX6 Advanced and Ozone 7.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.