View Single Post
Old 06-21-2020, 09:07 PM

Default Re: S6L/S3L Pro Tools Playback Engine Restrictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by emluper View Post
The biggest issue is that currently AVB is not a "network" protocol to the extent that we're used to. It's set to connect devices directly with each other, not to broadcast to multiple devices that can "pick off' part of the stream that the user wants. I would watch Robert Scovill's The Lab series on YouTube. The latest should be up sometime today and it's specifically about redundant systems. I know that he uses an S3L as part of his system, you might be able to glean some information that will help your current situation.
Well, AVB is a network protocol, it's just not particularly well exposed in macOS. You can launch the AVDCC controller from the avbutil command-line utility, which will allow you to patch AVB streams in a manner not dissimilar to Dante Controller. It's slightly less intuitive, as the listener and talker stream widths and formats need to match, and clocking is a little more complicated (because AVB does not derive the media clock implicitly from the network clock). But it can be done – no experience with the S6L, but works with my S3.