View Single Post
Old 11-27-2014, 12:46 AM

Default Re: how to get only the interface?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Unfortunately, since these first came out, Avid has added info about this in their FAQ. Basically, there is one registration code for both the software and hardware, which makes it less desireable to try to sell.

If you sell the code, the buyer would get the software, but they would also be registering the hardware in their name. This means that if there was ever a need for warrantee repair, safety recall, or future trade-up offers, you would be out of luck.
What happens if I register the hardware and software in my name, and then sell the software and simply do an iLok license transfer with the PT software license?

I wonder if the added functionality [Eucon, etc] is worth the risk here…if I buy the Black/Avid version of the Quartet...it would be silly to hold onto the PT software license when I already have an HD license.

The way it's phrased seems a little vague on the FAQ:

"I own Pro Tools 10/11 already, can I buy just the Pro Tools | Duet or Pro Tools | Quartet or split the bundle up to sell the Pro Tools activation?
Pro Tools | Duet and Pro Tools | Quartet are not sold without Pro Tools software, and each model uses a single Activation Code to redeem the software and register the hardware."

It sounds to me that possibly[?], when you 'Activate' the code from the Quartet, that is not the same as registering your software license [Avid says 'redeem' the software]. Does it possibly mean that you receive an Activation code…and once you register the hardware with this code, you are then just given a software license key…that you can then go register the usual way [with iLok, etc]. This would seem to suggest that it might be possible to transfer the software license..? [and maybe Avid just doesn't want to say so outright]..? Just trying to figure this out, if it's worth it for me to pay more for the Avid branded Quartet if I already own PTHD.

Last edited by dannymeltzer; 11-27-2014 at 01:55 AM.