View Single Post
Old 01-26-2002, 12:59 AM

Default Re: Thoughts on the Future of the 001...and Apple

Are they partners really? I think they may become competitors if apple should choose to release a "imusic" digi killer app. But who knows. The real questions are: Can digi reinvent the wheel? And #2 Can apple get the proccesor speeds up to truly overshadow a need for outboard hardware.

My prediction: Apple will end up moving away form the ppc architecture, due to motorollas inability to keep up with the technology or production of faster chips.
Digi will end up alienating its user base by not offering backward compatability, and shutting out peripheral developers (plug-ins), and also by embracing PC technology as a means to eliminate the apple host based threat.

In the end a new king fo the hill will emerge. apple may still be in thegame in 5 years, but only if the produce some "killer" apps.

Digi sadly seems to be having trouble rewriting its core program to utilize OSX, since its seems to have teken them so long and yet no word of a release date or a list of new features. By the time they get around to it I think it will be too little to late. At which point an emagic or whatnot will sweep in and lambast the industry with a quick takeover. Think "the death of tape II". or they can readdress what has become there new core user base ( the actual growing market segment, the home studio owner) and get on the ball with hardware and software. With the release of HD who's features nobody really asked for, but yes there nice, sans firewire, theyve made it clear an intention to attempt to dominate a very different market than what they started out with. Overall its been dissapointing the lack of response from Digi aside from pad form letters, which simply show a company with no real answers. Apple is about as bad when it comes to cluing the public in on its new technology and release structures. One of these days the will discover the value of open communication.