View Single Post
Old 08-24-2017, 06:26 AM

Default Re: GTX 680 or HD7950 vid card and HDX-3 - how do i do power for the cards?

So my conclusions on this topic...

First

There is no possibility to power the HDX Card with the mac cable on a mac pro with a gcard, which uses both power connectors.
For this you would need a splitter cable : 6 pin mini pcie (Macpro) to one
6 pin mini pcie (HDX Card) and one normal 6 pin pcie (Graphiccard)
Such a cable doesnīt exist...

Fidelis, it would be nice, if you could explain, how you power your card with a normal splitter cable... The mac cable has only the propritary mac pro mini 6 pin connector.

Second

The posted Sata to Molex Adapter cables donīt work with the Mac Pro, cause they donīt fit. The Mac Pro uses a combined sata connector (data and power). So the 15 pin adapter cables cannot be plugged in to the 22 pin combo connector.

In the Avid HDX User Guide you find 2 power cables... MP Mini 6 Pin to avid connector and Molex to avid...

In a article at protools expert, someone tried to use the hdx Card with the new sonnet eGFX tb3 enclosure, but had no luck with it, cause the eGFX uses a normal 6 pin connector...

Here is the link

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...erbolt-chassis

Maybe Sonnet brings an adapter cable from normal 6 pin to HDX connector...

I hope so... cause for now. The only way to use a hdx card is to downgrade your videocard to one, which uses only one power connector...

On the other side, i read, that the new cards come with 3 cables...
One with normal 6 pin to hdx...

Is this true or not... I hope somebody, who purchased a card in this and the last year can comfirm that...

Or is someone from Avid here, who can say, what cables come with the hdx card or how to handle this situation....

Pls help

thanks