View Single Post
Old 09-23-2000, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Sound quality issues anybody??

First off, I run nothing through the mackie anymore. I'm trying to phase it completely out of my studio. I don't want an analog mixer in my path. I'm taking the CD and playing it on my computer. In the future I will just run it spdif into the digi001. I'm just not there yet (I just bought the 001).

Well, I figure the less things in the path of the output, the less likely the sound will become colored. At any rate, I shouldn't have to run my outputs to a preamp to make it sound good...I doubt that's it. Plus, the mackie preamps and line amps suck. They sound very harsh, brittle, boxish, and 2 dimentional to me. They couldn't keep a turd warm. Sorry, couldn't resist that analogy.

The Mackie certainly wouldn't (and I checked doesn't) get rid of my upper mid problems, the Mackie has upper mid distortion and clarity issues itself. That's the reason I opt not to do that. The digi001 was designed with people like me in mind that want to go directly to an amp and speakers...or people with powered monitors. It has a monitor pot built right into it just for people who don't want to deal with the mackie sound. Half the reason I went with the 001 is so that I can get rid of the Mackie all together.

Oh, and I am not able to find my reference headphones (I just got back from doing a remote session...and everything is in boxes) so I'll have to fish them out and check that one.

Thanks for all of the suggestions...keep them coming!!!

[This message has been edited by lison44 (edited September 23, 2000).]