View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Problems Reading Imported MIDI (Sibelius)

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos View Post
I'm working in Sibelius as Midi editor and importing MIDI files into PT session.

After importing the data and connecting midi tracks to Aux Input tracks (and selecting voices (Xpand2) with plug-ins) I'm noticing subtle differences during playback.

This led to looking at the MIDI data in PT (using Midi Editor), where i realized that something is definitely different, or getting lost in the translation.

For example, in Sibelius, I had sextuplets (6notes in the space of four 16th notes). and additionally, note 2 of the group 6 was a 16th-note rest:

x.xxxx (where "." represents the rest in this sextuplet group)

PT MIDI editor shows

x x xxx (where "x x" are two 16th notes (instead of a group of three 16th note triplets), and "xxx" represents a group of 1/16th note triplets).

What gets lost in this example, is the 16th note triplet rest (indicated above by the ".") .

I have increased the MIDI output "ticks" or PPQNs (pulses per quarter note) in Sibelius when exporting the files. HOWEVER, Sibelius literature indicates that:
"Choosing a higher PPQN value doesn't make the exported MIDI file any more "accurate," since Sibelius's internal resolution is fixed at 256."
Question:
Does anyone know how to bridge this gap between Sibelius and PT to get more accurate imported MIDI file readings?

Janos
If I read this right, you are trying to fit 6 notes in a space that can be divided into 256 equal sections.

Based on that math, the number 256 doesn't divide equally by 6, you get 42.666666667~

I'm guessing that quantizing at 256 is rounding the note events just enough to cause this anomaly.

One other question, is it just the score display that is wrong? what does the midi grid editor look like in PT?

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?