View Single Post
Old 06-04-2002, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Trigger MIDI with Audio

Well, if there is a way to trigger MIDI with audio in PTLE I'd sure like to know about it!

I'm working on some sessions right now where the drummer's performance was killer, but the kick just didn't get recorded right. The recorded sound just flat out sucks! So I'm going through each session and zooming in real close in slip mode and penciling in a MIDI kick at the beginning of each audio transient that I recognize as a kick. When I have all the individual kicks penciled in I go into velocity mode and adjust the individual note velocities to approximate the amplitude of the individual waveforms. This gives me a totally human sounding MIDI performance and I can choose any kick sample I want. Once I'm happy with the sound I record it to audio. It's been taking me about 3 hours per 4 minute session. Lots of work, but the results are worth it.

I assume you could do just about the same thing using samples with an Audiosuite plug-in called Sound Replacer. But I can't afford it, so I have to do it the hard way.

[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs