View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 07:28 AM

Default Re: RTAS or memory problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblasters View Post
Why didn't Digi say older G5 dual 2.0 are not valid using PT8 ?????????
They are valid! but PT8 was developed for 2009 and G5's were developed for software coded in 2003. now the only real problem with using older computers is the amount of native CPU ability and as we all know, each software upgrade including PT will require more CPU to be able to run all the new features. PT6 ran great on G5's as they were made at the same time.

I have a G5 2gig dual and i'm not getting the real big problem you have with running just 4 tracks and one instance of the DB-33 organ. it has to be something specific to your setup! as i can get literally dozens of DB-33 in a session on a G5.

The VI problem really is down to each specific plugin Vendor and whether they have or can, code their RTAS plugins to make use of multi processor CPU's. many of these Vendors just aren't prepared to go back and re-code their plugs. they just want to rush the next product to the market to get $$$ coming in.

So unless Digi are holding something back from the third party vendors, and i really doubt that would or could happen!! then Digi-Air have proved it is possible to get very efficient VI's working as RTAS.

Saying all that! we all know that RTAS isn't perfect or as good as it could be. we are all still boggled why we could get 40-50 EXS24 samplers in a Logic session on a G4

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.