View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Controlling Aux Verbs in a final mix

The old school way would be to send your sound to an effect, and then bus it back to a return track where you would record the wet signal of that sound, which you would then mix alongside the dry. Of course if you ever need to change the effect, you have to start over, and rerecord. This allowed mixers to send any track to any effect, meaning they didn’t need separate reverbs for each track, but also took more time, and required more commitment. Now, the name of the game is to always be able to change something at the drop of the hat, so constant organization and automation is key.

I tend to keep things separated, even if the plugin settings are the same across my auxes (which is rare). I automate reverb settings also, which allows me to change them by scene, and makes it easy to copy settings from my DX reverb, to my FLY reverb, if I insist they match. I usually tweak them from there though. Then my main aux tracks are bussed to predub tracks, and their corresponding reverb/other effects auxes are bussed to their own predubs. Each set of predubs gets bussed and mixed down to a stem. Having an FX predub, and an FX Verb predub, allows you separate control over wet/dry signals during the final, which is very useful. Depending on the complexity of the film, you may even have multiple predubs for FX, but that’s usually not necessary anymore if you’re mixing in the box. My finals are usually paired down to DX, MX, FLY, FX, SD, and BG predubs, with their corresponding effects predubs. All of those predubs are sent to stems, which are sent to the main out/printmaster.

So, basically, always keep things separate. You never want to send DX through a FLY reverb, just because you like the settings. It’s easier (and safer) to have dedicated effects channels and move settings around if necessary. You’ll end up with more tracks obviously, but you can always hide them, and aux tracks don’t take much processing power. Organization is the most important thing. Sorry for the wordy reply. I hope this answers your question. It’s one old school take on it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk