View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 12:24 AM

Default *WARNING* Waves IDR whacked!!!!!

I have now confirmed this in both V7 and V8 on both Mac and PC. This occurs in the IDR plugin, L1+, L2, L3, and probably any other Waves plugin that offers the IDR dither.

Switching through the dither types can cause random dithering results as seen on a bitscope. If anyone wants to see this, bring up L1+ and put it on 8-bit so that you can see this on any meter. Switch through the types and you'll find type 2 gives random results with noise-shaping on and you'll also see random results when switching to "None"(off).

I tried to report this to Waves and the support tech treated me like an idiot.

See a couple of screen shots:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2505899/IDR%20Fault.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2505899/IDR%20Fault%202.JPG

Better yet, see it for yourself.

Here's my correspondence with Waves word for word with a little redaction. Start at the bottom.

Quote:
-------Answer from Waves at 2/8/2011 4:05:17 AM
Hi James;

I am defiantly up to date regarding what is included in the AudioTrack- let me repeat:

Both the IDR and the DLA are only components which are being installed with ANY Waves Plug-In.

However, they are not Plug-Ins, and therefore I do not understand what the issue that you are having is.

The DLA is a component which improves the delay compensation of the host and cannot even be loaded.

The IDR is related to dithering, but again- it works only in the background.

BTW, I know how to open a link...

Have a great day

If you need further assistance feel free to contact us or visit www.Wavesupport.net

Best Regards,
XXXXXXXXXXXX
Waves Technical Support Staff

-------Question/Reply from XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX at 2/7/2011 3:27:00 PM
XXXXXX,

Thanks for the reply. It seems that you may not be up to date on what came with Audiotrack. I also got the IDR plugin and DLA installed with it. DLA I cannot use since it is a TDM plugin.

The IDR plugin properly dithers at 20 and 16 bit depths as seen on a bitscope. But, it also sometimes adds noise when switched to "no IDR" The linked pic shows the noise on the bitscope. I checked the link and it is good. Since this form doesn''t support hyperlinking, copying and pasting the link in your browser URL will get you to the picture.

As for Audiotrack, it seems to be working just fine. I bought it because it is one of very few plugins on the market that can actually do upward expansion. The compressor ratio can go below 1.

-------Answer from Waves at 2/6/2011 6:47:07 AM

Dear James,

All of the Waves products include the IDR component.

However, it is not an actual Plug-In and you can't really use it.

Originally, it was a dithering Plug-In.

BTW, the link you sent me to the screenshot didn't work.

Please let me know if something is wrong with the Audio Track Plug-In.

Have a good one,

If you need further assistance feel free to contact us or visit www.Wavesupport.net

Best Regards,
XXXXXXXXXXXX
Waves Technical Support Staff

-------Question/Reply from XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX at 2/4/2011 2:26:51 PM
I purchased Audiotrack last night from audioMIDI.com. After installing version 8, I found that the IDR plugin was included. I opened IDR and a bit scope to see the dither being added. I found that when switching to "no IDR", there would sometimes be a noise in the 22nd-24th bit level. Sometimes it would be in one channel or the other. Sometimes it would be non-identical in both channels. Here's a link to a pic of the issue.

BTW, if this is the second time you see this bug report from me, when i first submitted it, it appeared as though my account login had expired and there's was absolutely no indication that the form data had been successfully submitted.
IDR is a plugin and you can use it.

_

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control