View Single Post
Old 02-03-2015, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools FIRST question.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimmd View Post
Im sure i read somewhere that you can export your mix as a wave file so it could be imported into say iTunes,so whats to stop me doing a guitar track,exporting it as a wav file and importing it into Logic,or any other DAW?

I dont think it has the amount of restrictions some think,yes its different to having PT11 but from the content i have seen there will be enough plugins that come with it to make a decent finished recording.

I'm going to try it anyway,as has been said,i don't Have to use it if i don't want to.
Nothing stops you of course, but ah let's see, what are the issues... you are forced to irreversibly print plugin effects or VIs for instrument Tracks. You lose tempo information, tick based capabilities and elastic audio processing. If you export the whole mix then you've also irreversibly made a mix decision, if you export a single track or stem, then less so. But so what, exporting and importing audio files is the lowest common denominator available today and what everybody does if they have to, but that is not anybody's idea of a modern compelling collaborative DAW workflow. And let's see exactly what Pro Tools | Crippleware supports as bounce to disk or bounce to cloud capabilities.

No Ability to read current Pro Tools sessions, no ability to write Pro Tools sessions (to standalone Pro Tools users), limited track counts, plugin lockin/need to repurchase plugins (if those plugins you need are in the store), can only ever work offline on one project at a time, limit of three free sessions..... They are all pretty significant limitations for a start, sure you just pay to solve some, but then you may soon be better off with full Pro Tools or another DAW. Again I expect high-end cloud collaboration between Pro Tools users to be very useful, just not sure that yet another effort by Avid to chase the lower-end consumer market is going to be either well executed or a sucess for Avid or its users.

But absolutely try it and see, I have a feeling traffic on DUC, especially from newbie users is going to be ah "interesting".

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-03-2015 at 01:40 PM.